The Athens County Sheriff’s Office has recently seen an increase in phone scams. Thousands of dollars are paid to scammers each week from Athens County citizens, the Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.
They have offered this advice to residents in order to avoid being a victim of a scam:
– DO NOT ever make a payment to anyone using any form of a gift card or prepaid money card (or withdraw CASH for someone unfamiliar)
– Law enforcement will NEVER call to advise you missed a court date or have a warrant
– If you pay money to a scammer we are generally unable
– Contact your financial institution before sending money
– Please talk with your elderly and vulnerable friends, neighbors, and family about the signs of a scam so they can protect themselves from the possibility of a financial loss
– Overpayment (you…