In the wake of last month’s torrential rains and flooding, District Attorney Ashley Hornsby Welch and Federal Trade Commission officials are cautioning Haywood County residents to avoid cleanup and repair scams.
Here are some steps to protect yourself:
• Be skeptical of anyone promising immediate cleanup and debris removal.
• Check them out. Ask for identification, licenses and proof of insurance.
• Insist promises be in writing.
• Do not pay using wire transfer, gift card or cash.
• Do not make a final payments until work is completed to your satisfaction.
• Guard your personal information. Only scammers will say they’re a government official and then demand money or your credit card, bank account, or Social Security number.
• Know that FEMA does not charge application fees. If someone wants…