Burning Man, the annual weeklong festival in the Nevada desert increasingly popular with Silicon Valley CEOs and celebrities, was cancelled Tuesday for the second year in a row, the latest major festival to push back in-person events until the coronavirus pandemic is more controlled.
Burning Man organizers said there were too many uncertain aspects of the event that could not be resolved before Burning Man was slated to take place in August, leading them to make the decision to cancel in-person events altogether, they said in a Tuesday statement.
The cancellation comes after weeks of back-and-forth from organizers about the nature of the 2021 festival.
Burning Man CEO Marian Goodell said earlier this month that the festival will require attendees to be vaccinated against coronavirus in order to attend a possible 2021 event.
Event organizers walked back the statement last week, with Goodell saying she “misspoke” and adding they were still mulling the idea.
Burning Man will still hold virtual events this year, according to the festival’s website, and expects to return to Black Rock City, Nevada, in 2022.
Burning Man attracted nearly 80,000 attendees in 2019, the last time it was held in-person in the Nevada desert. Despite the festival’s anti-establishment roots, it has become a popular destination for tech billionaires like Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, Sergey Brin and Larry Page. Burning Man is the latest major American festival to cancel for the second year in a row, following South by Southwest in Austin, Ultra in Miami and California’s Coachella and Stagecoach festivals. International events have not been spared: the iconic British festival Glastonbury also postponed its 2021 iteration.